While reviewing recipes for a a great Valentine’s Day dinner. I came across Linguine with Shrimp Scampi on the Food Network. I also made a Red Velvet Cheesecake but that’s another post entirely. I decided to use fettuccine instead because I had a batch of homemade fettuccine in the freezer and thought it would be great to use it up.
Some things to consider when cooking this recipe -
- I would add the garlic closer to the end of cooking so that it doesn’t brown or become burnt tasting.
- Drain off juices after the initial cooking of shrimp to allow the shrimp to caramelize a bit rather than poach.
- Add a little bit of chicken stock if you need to have a larger amount of liquid for cooking with fresh pasta and/or fettuccine.
- The pasta may soak up all of the light sauce.
- I also used 3 large fresh basil leaves to add a bit more color and flavor to the overall dish.
This recipe is perfect for non-meat eaters who wish to impress their sweetie without a lot of fuss, but packed with fresh flavor!
Fettuccine with Shrimp Scampi
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 1 ½ teaspoons
- ¾ pound linguine or fettuccine
- 2 ½ tablespoons good olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ½ lemon, zest grated
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- ¼ lemon, thinly sliced half-rounds
- ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Bring water to boil in a large pot and add salt. Add the pasta and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and pepper and sauté until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
- When the pasta is done, drain the cooked pasta and then put back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.